Sunday, December 27, 2009

My Dad

As many of you know, my dad has not been doing well lately. He had his liver transplant one year ago (Nov. 9, 2008) and things were going well for awhile. About two weeks before thanksgiving this year he started to go downhill and two days before Thanksgiving he had to be rushed over to Seattle to check in to the hospital at the UW. They thought he was having trouble with scar tissue in his hepatic veins, so they performed a 4 hour surgery to clean all of the scar tissue and put a new shunt in. He was home for 10 days when his bloodwork started showing signs of elevated enzyme levels. He & my mom drove back to Seattle to check into the hospital on Dec. 16th and they treated him for liver rejection. On Dec. 20th they sent him home, feeling that the new anti rejection med he was on would get things under control; however it didn't work and that night (Dec. 21st) my mom raced him back to Seattle. He was released on Christmas eve to come home and spend the holidays with my family. My sisters/brother in laws/niece all flew up so we could be together, and we have enjoyed the time we have been able to spend with one another. However, my Dad is not responding at all to his anti-rejection medications and tomorrow my mom is going to take him back to Seattle and he will be checking back in to the hospital for an indefinite amount of time.
At this time we are still hopeful that things will turn around, however it is very evident to all of us that this may be our last family gathering all together. Maybe we will get a lucky turn of events and he will be here for a few more years, only Heavenly Father knows.
I just wanted to let you all know, since many of you have asked and most of the time I don't know how to answer. Please include he and my mom in your prayers, and I will try to keep you all updated as much as I can.
- Sarah

2 comments:

April said...

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry. What a tender time for your family. Please know you are in our prayers. We love you!

Alanna said...

Sarah, I should have read this before I talked to you at New Years. How are things going now? Your family is in our prayers.